Criteria and Procedures
The deadline for award nominations is October 31, 2014.
- All nominations received will be submitted to the Awards Committee.
- Nominations are welcome from anyone, not just AAS members.
- Nominations will not be accepted from a member who is a direct subordinate of the nominee.
- No nomination submitted after the deadline will be considered for the current year awards.
- Late nominations and nominees who did not win awards will be retained for consideration during the next year's award cycle.
- The nomination form is limited to one page and include the following items:
- Name, position, address and affiliation of the nominee
- Title of award
- Citation (3 lines maximum)
- Description of the accomplishments for which the nomination is being made, including applicability to specific award under consideration.
- A formal letter must accompany the nomination and should include:
- Name, affiliation and address of the submitter
- Date of submission
- Supporting material for nominee: i.e., curriculum vitae not to exceed 2 pages (desirable, but not mandatory).
- Other letters of recommendation supporting the nomination may be submitted.
- Nominations by members of the Committee must be documented in this same manner.
Note: Go to the Brouwer Award to see specific nomination criteria for that award.
Generally, AAS Awards will be bestowed for meritorious accomplishments during the previous year. However, meritorious accomplishments prior to then, not previously honored by AAS award recognition, are equally acceptable and will receive full consideration. Likewise, accomplishments of an individual over a sustained period of time will be sufficient to merit the granting of any relevant AAS award. As a rule, any nominee who received an AAS award within the preceding 3 years will not be considered for additional awards.
Please note: The recipients of the Eugene M. Emme Astronautical Literature Awards are selected by the AAS History Committee. Deadline for receipt of nominations for books published the previous year is April 30, with review copies due by May 30. The Dirk Brouwer Award is selected by the Space Flight Mechanics Committee. The International Cooperation Award is selected by the International Programs Committee.
Nomination materials should be sent as Word or PDF attachments to email@example.com with subject line "2014 Award Nomination - last name".